November 28, 2009

In cold deep water

This morning, Janice and I took the girls to swimming lessons. When backing into the parking stall, I noticed three girls on the very thin ice on the lake a little was of the building. just as we reached the doors to the building, I heard a girl yelling for help. I told Janice to go with the girls and get them ready for their lessons whilst I check out the call for help. One of the girl's cousins came and told me her cousin fell into the watter. I made a quick scan of the lake but didn't see anyone (where is she I thought). Then I looked at the two girls walking a bit a way behind the one calling for help and one was dripping wet! I dropped under the safety wires, barring the upper level parking lot to the lower level playground and ran towards the wet girl. Seeing she was almost out of energy, and her leg muscles were ready to give, I picked her up and carried her into the building and left her in the care of the lifeguards. I made a written statement for the pool people, which was given to the police. After that, I watched my two girls during their swimming lessons. A journalism student wants to interview me sometime this week. I'm going to request the girl's mom and the girl be included in the interview, since it is after all, about them more so than myself.

This evening, the girl and her mother came over and gave me a beautiful gift basket of fruit and a Rider's West Division Champs T-Shirt. I will treasure the basket and the T-shirt always. I am just glad everything turned out for the best and no one was seriously hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment